An important reminder about the California State Legislature website:
At http://www.legislature.ca.gov, you will find a variety of crucial information about your state legislators and the legislative process, including:
- A lookup to find your legislator (both Assembly and Senate)
- Information on current bills
- Budget information
- Committee membership and schedule hearings
- Leadership and caucuses
Members are often interested in the processing of CCA legislation. Ideas for legislation come from CCA members, either individually or through committees. Those ideas are then discussed by the Legislation and Advocacy Committee which meets before CTA State Council (see the Advocacy/Political Action section of this website for the meeting dates). If the Legislation and Advocacy Committee supports an idea, it then goes to the CCA Policy Committee to make sure there is CTA policy that supports the proposed legislation. Then in June or October, the proposed bills, with their rationales, are presented to the CTA State Legislation Committee on behalf of CCA by the CCA Vice President and the CTA legislative advocate assigned to CCA. These ideas are then sent to various departments of CTA for evaluation. If the bill is passed by CTA State Council, our Legislative Advocate then finds an author to carry the bill and lobbies for the bill as it makes its way through the state legislature.
Taking Positions on Legislation
Mark your calendars for CCA’s Spring Conference and WHO Awards April 21-23 at the Marriott Hotel in Manhattan Beach. Online registration is now available. Conference highlights include the annual WHO Award Banquet as well as outstanding speakers, discussions and trainings that will help you become a better advocate for your members. Download the conference brochure to view and share with other members.
- Resolution in Support of the Public Education All California's Students Deserve
- CCA Budget Principles
- Find out if you are fairly paid in the 2016 Special Salary Issue of the NEA Advocate.
- Letter from U.S. Secretary of Education on ACCJC
- Read the Report of the 2015 Accreditation Task Force
- NACIQI 2015 Report
- Department of Education Compliance Letter on the ACCJC and Final Staff Report
- CFT Complaint Regarding Accrediting Commission
- Privatization At Community Colleges